Starting a business is one of the more valuable experiences of my life, but it definitely hasn’t made finding balance or living my healthiest life any easier! I’ve heard the same advice from many founders: figure out the things that make you happy, healthy and energize you, and make them happen (don’t compromise). I wish I had more time for a long list of healthy habits (and pampering), but with my focus on growing LOLA, I keep it pretty low key with these five rituals:
1. I make sure to get a serving of protein at breakfast — I grab hard-boiled eggs at the Pret next door to our office or add a scoop of protein powder to my green smoothie. My favorite smoothie recipe is from the book Clean by Dr. Alejandro Junger: almond milk, coconut water, spinach, avocado, and mango. Making sure I have a protein-heavy breakfast keeps me going through my morning meetings and keeps me from getting hangry (trust me: it’s not pretty).
2. I learned to love sunscreen. I was never great at adding sunscreen as a separate step in my morning routine, so I started using an SPF-infused moisturizer on my face every morning. Josie Maran Daily Sun Protection Argan Oil is my go-to right now, but I mix it up.
3. If I have the time, I always walk instead of taking the subway. During the day, it’s a great way to clear my head, or at the end of the day, it’s a much needed change after sitting at a desk or in meetings all day. I track my steps on my phone and compete with myself to beat my distance from the previous week.
4. I swim. Three years ago, I decided to try swimming to increase my core strength and flexibility. I followed this online swim plan to be able to get from zero (read: out of shape) to 1 mile (which sounds like not a lot, but is truly quite far for a beginner swimmer) in 6-7 weeks. My endurance and flexibility were transformed.
5. I always have a full veggie drawer and a bag of brown rice in the kitchen. I got my first rice cooker in 2014, and it changed my life. It takes about 20 seconds to get rice going for an absurdly healthy vegetable stir-fry dinner. Right now, I’m really into broccoli, jalapeno peppers, and bok choy as mix ins, but change my go-to’s regularly to keep from getting bored.